About the Bachelor of Arts in Film and Media Arts
The B.A. in Film and Media Arts offers a rigorous course of study in film and video production, also incorporating courses in film studies and art. All of our courses emphasize critical thinking, creative exploration, and skill development.
Film and Media Arts Courses
- In our production classes, we teach a small-crew, independent-artist approach to filmmaking. Students gain experience in all phases of film production, including idea development, writing, pre-production planning, producing, directing, cinematography, sound design and editing.
- Students make short films in courses covering narrative, documentary, animation and experimental modes, building a portfolio of original work.
- Professional preparation for careers in film and media arts is a strong component of the degree. Within our weekly seminar for majors, students create production resumes and demo reels, and meet with area film industry professionals. Majors are also required to complete an internship as part of their coursework.
Student Filmmaking Support
- Our department also supports our students' development as filmmakers outside of coursework. Opportunities include:
- Competitive scholarships for film and media students;
Competitive student production grants;
Film festival and competition entry fee reimbursement;
Departmental trip to the True/False Film Festival in Columbia, MO;
Student Film League, a student-run UMKC film organization.