Frequently Asked Questions


Making the hop to college from high school can be, daunting below are some questions that might assist you in your process or help to understand the program better. If you don’t see an answer to one of your questions please email or call 816.235.1165 and we’ll get it answered.

Dual Enrollment or Advanced Placement?

Dual enrollment and advanced placement courses are both good options for students. The difference is dual enrollment students receive a grade and credit for the work performed throughout the year. These credits usually transfer to the student’s college of choice as direct course equivalents.

Advanced Placement classes require students to pass the AP test to earn college credit. Credit is awarded solely on the students’ performance on this one exam and may transfer to college only as an elective credit.

Who is Eligible to Take Dual Enrollment Courses?

Dual enrollment students must meet the prerequisite criteria for the course and have a 3.0 GPA or a 21 ACT composite score.

How do I Register?

The high school distributes information on accessing online application to begin the enrollment process. Dual Enrollment registration forms are completed in class with the instructor. Once completed, the registration form must be, signed and submitted through the high school instructor.

GPA Impact

Eligible students have been defined as having a minimum overall grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) or a minimum score of 21 on their ACT. The high school Registrar should have this information. Students are generally successful in transferring courses to other colleges and universities as well. It is recommended, however, that students confirm transferability of each dual enrollment course with their intended out-of-state college.

Tuition and Fees

Dual enrollment students pay the current rate of $90.75 per credit hour this is a significant savings over private and out-of-state colleges, and about one third the costs of comparable in-state university courses. Current tuition rates are listed in the registration materials. As an additional savings, dual students do not have to purchase textbooks or pay lab fees because these materials are generally provided by the high school.

Tuition Assistance

Some students may be eligible for tuition assistance that will be applied on a portion of a dual credit course, for eligible students. Funding is limited, so for the best chance of receiving tuition assistance, students should apply several weeks prior to the start of the course.


Important Dates

December 17, 2017

Online application and Tuition Assistance.

January 19, 2018

Enrollment forms due to HSCP Office.

February 28, 2018

Last day to submit Tuition Assistance applications online.

March 02, 2018

Deadline for 100% refund and drop without record (notify HSCP Office).

March 16, 2018

Deadline for a 50% refund and W grade (notify HSCP Office). No refunds after this date.

March 20, 2018

First payment - 33% of Spring 2018 balance due.

March 30, 2018

Deadline to withdraw with a W or WF grade (notify (notify HSCP Office) Late withdrawal petitions required after this date.

April 20, 2018

Second payment - 66% of Spring 2018 balance due

May 11, 2018

End of term. Retroactive withdrawal dates required

May 20, 2018

Third payment - 100% of Spring 2018 balance due.